We are cooking (on our own stove), again and ready to start enjoying the community. We have been up early the last couple mornings so workers could solve our electrical problem, the good news is the electrician found the problem and corrected it. The issue turned out to be an errant screw that pierced the electrical cable for the range, the bad news was that he had to cut several holes in the wall to replace the bad section of wire. It didn’t take long for the drywall to be repaired and the painter was here this morning to make it all look new again.
The electrician had good current to the point where the wire ran down behind the kitchen wall so he cut some holes to remove the bad section and replace it with new cable.
We wound up with three good sized holes.
This is where the range should be, the problem was that one of the screws used on the wooden support strip for the granite countertop behind the range pierced the electric cable.
The cable and offending screw, you can see the hole through the red wire and the broken ground wire in front of it.
The drywall was being repaired before the electrician had made the final connection in the attic.
This morning the painter put a couple coats on the patch and we are good as new.
The landscapers have made good progress during the past few days. We thought we may get plants today but they apparently will be here next week as we hadn’t finalized the plantings until Wednesday. We did change a few plants because one of the bushes that was in our plan has become a favorite meal for the local rabbit population; we took a ride with the supervisor and picked out some substitutions and added a Mexican Fence Post cactus to the list. There are two walls in the plan that require footings, the prep for the footings must be inspected and approved by the city so they will work on that next week as the city inspector doesn't work on Friday.
This is the east side of the house, they are installing drain pipe that will carry water from the back of the home and from the downspouts.
They had to use a jackhammer to dig the holes for the plants.
Marking the location for dirt mounds and plants.
Dirt mounds in the backyard, holes have been dug for plants.
Dirt mound in the front yard, water tubes for the irrigation system are also visible; John’s brother Jim calls them “irritation systems” as they can be troublesome.
For the most part John has caught up on his “Honey Do List” so we met with the Home Owners Association person this morning to take care of that requirement; we received windshield decals for the car and motor home as well as some valuable information. While we were in the area we stopped at the recreation building and took care of some required business there and received our homeowner bracelets that we will wear when using the facility. After lunch we went back to the recreation building and spent some time on the machines in the fitness center and then swam some laps in the indoor lap pool; the workout sure showed John he has a way to go if he wants to get back into shape.
We have been enjoying the house and now some of the facilities available to us here in the community, during our golf car ride home we both had to admit that it will be hard to leave here in a couple of weeks!
John is done with the lights and fans.
The weather has been hot with some humidity (but nothing like the humidity in Wisconsin), we have adapted by staying out of the sun as much as possible, staying in the shade when there is a slight breeze makes it livable and almost comfortable. The afternoon wind brought a little dust on a few days.